Monday, September 30, 2013

Dairy Soy Free Grab-and-Go Breakfast Bars





UPDATE: Please make sure to double check ingredients each time you buy. I hope I never overlook anything but it’s possible and ingredients can change. A lot of my posts are over two years old and since I have gone back dairy soy free I have discovered a few items I use to buy all the time that now have soy in them.


I saw this recipe on a health network in a doctor's office when I took Bel in for an ear infection. It looked easy, and there are not a lot of pre-packaged breakfast bars you can eat with dairy soy allergies, so I thought I would try them.

Makes 16 Small Bars

Ingredients:

1 cup Quick Oats
1 cup Shredded Wheat (I used Cinnamon Roll Minnie Wheats)
1 cup walnuts (or any nuts you like or no nuts)
1 1/2 cups dried fruit (I used a combination of dried apricots, dried apples, and dried plums)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs (I used 3 smaller eggs)
1/3 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips because they are dairy soy free)






Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil or coat an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. *Check your cooking spray for soy. I use Pam for Grilling.
*My bars came out a little thick for my taste so I will use a larger pan next time to make more bars that are thinner.

2. Place the oats, shredded wheat, walnuts, dried fruit, cinnamon, and salt in a food processor (I use a Ninja and it works great as a food processor) and pulse until the mixture is finely chopped (the dried fruit will be the size of a dried pea or lentil).









3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey, and vanilla. Add the oatmeal mixture and chocolate chips and stir to combine.












4. Transfer to the baking pan and flatten down gently with the back of a spoon or spatula to spread evenly.






5. Bake about 18 minutes until the edges turn golden brown and the bars are done. Let bars cool completely in pan before slicing and serving.









TIP: These bars freeze really well. So, if you have leftovers, wrap individual portions in plastic baggies or aluminum foil and freeze.

These turned out really good, much better than pre-packaged. I will be making them again.

Here is the original recipe: Grab & Go Breakfast Bars

*Note: Be careful when cooking with glass. Read your care instructions or look them up online. Do not set hot glass on a cold surface, use a pot holder or something to sit glass on out of the oven. Do not broil food in glass.

UPDATE 10/05/2013: I used a 7X11 baking dish and found it worked better for my taste.

You can also fin. me on Pintrest @DairySoyFreeMom

No comments:

Post a Comment