Friday, September 20, 2013

What's For Dinner: Batter Dipped Fish or Chicken



UPDATE: Please make sure to double check ingredients each time you buy. I hope I never overlook anything but it’s possible and ingredients can change. A lot of my posts are over two years old and since I have gone back dairy soy free I have discovered a few items I use to buy all the time that now have soy in them.


This is a quick easy dairy soy free dinner. If you have ever had Long John Silver's batter fish or chicken this is very similar (but a little healthier).






What you will need: Electric Skillet, Deep Fryer, or Deep Skillet. A baking sheet with a cookie rack placed in it (to set your fish or chicken on while it cools), I also place paper towels under the baking sheet so they catch the oil. And a good pair of tongs.



Ingredients:

Cooking Oil (I use peanut, 100% Corn, or 100% Canola)

1 Box Golden Dip Fish & Chips Batter (found in the Gluten Free section, if you use other batter check for dairy and soy)

1 1/2 Pounds Bonless Skinless Chicken or White Fish (Cod is the best with this recipe, also I cut mine into strips and smaller pieces)






Directions:

Pour cooking oil in skillet, pan, or deep fryer. In skillet or pan pour about 1/2 inch deep, in deep fryer pour about 3 inches deep. Heat oil to around 350 to 375 degrees.

To mix the batter you just follow the directions on the Fish and Chips Batter box (mix batter with water).

Then, dip the chicken or fish into the batter. I like mine extra crispy, so I dip my chicken or fish in the dry batter first, then coat in the wet batter. *Note: For chicken I cook first In a pan for 3 minutes on each side. This helps make sure your chicken is cooked all the way through.









Next, place the chicken or fish into the hot oil. Cook chicken 5 minutes each side or fish around 4 minutes each side (turn when the batter gets golden brown).






When done place chicken or fish on baking sheet to drain and cool.



That's all there is to it. Then you have take out worthy batter dipped chicken or fish at home. I would serve with ketchup or homemade tartar sauce (some people like malt vinegar with their fish). We like sweetpotato fries for a side (Alexia makes some great fries). Hushpuppies also go great with this dinner (especially with fish). I tried some dairy soy free hushpuppies out of a bag mix but was not impressed, so next time I make batter fish I will try making my own from scratch.










I made the chicken this time because I was out of cod, but I included a picture of the finished fish from a previous time I made them. *The smaller pieces beside the fish are just fried batter (like the crunchies you get with your meals at Long John's, only mine are bigger). This way you don't waste any batter left in the bowl after coating the chicken or fish.



*Cooking times can vary, please check to make sure yours is done.

In my opinion the fish is best, but the chicken was also good.

You can also find me on Pintrest @DairySoyFreeMom

No comments:

Post a Comment