Thursday, September 12, 2013

What's For Dinner: Dairy Soy Free Tacos







UPDATE: Please make sure to double check ingredients each time you buy. I hope I never overlook anything but it’s possible and ingredients can change. A lot of my posts are over two years old and since I have gone back dairy soy free I have discovered a few items I use to buy all the time that now have soy in them. The tortillas listed below have soy in them as of 08/2016 try the same brand but the Fat Free version as of now they were dairy soy free.


Finding ways to eat what you love, while still following a dairy soy free diet, can be challenging at first. But it does not take long before you are eating the same meals as before, just with adjustments. Tacos are one of my favorite meals so I made it my mission to find all the ingredients dairy soy free. Since there is not a lot you need to know about cooking tacos (cook the meat, season the meat, dice the vegetables, and assemble) this post will focus on the brands of ingredients I have found to be dairy soy free.




Here's what I use:
Ground Beef or Turkey
OLE Xtreme Wellness Tortillas (they are so good and soft)
Ortega Taco Seasoning (or you can easily make your own just Google taco seasoning recipes so easy)
Ortega Taco Sauce
Tomatoes
Spinach
Red or White Onions



Then for sides you could use:
Corn (I used corn today because it's the easiest & fastest)
Uncle Bens Brown Rice
Quinoa
(any corn, rice, or quinoa should be fine but check the ingredients)

You can serve chips and salsa on the side. I use Tostitos Scoops & Tostitos Salsa, most salsas are ok but if you use other chips double check them.





Then you have tacos or burritos depending on how you serve them. My family likes soft tacos best, but if you want hard tacos and can't find any soy free hard tacos you can easily make your own. All you have to do is find some corn tortillas with no soy (they are easier to find than flour tortillas), spray one side with cooking spray (check lable for soy, I use Pam for Grilling), put them in the oven draped over two coffee cup handles (to make them the right shape) at 275 for a few minutes until hard (check them often they will burn quickly).

I promise if you get great vegetables (onions, tomatoes, spinach or lettuce) you will hardly miss the cheese and sour cream. I miss the idea of cheese & sour cream on my tacos more than I miss the taste. Since I always ate tacos with cheese & sour cream I use to feel like I was missing a step by not putting them on, but I never missed the taste. Now it just seems odd to me when people ask for cheese, sour cream, or butter (for the rice or corn).

I know giving up dairy and soy is hard but you can do it, and your body will thank you for it.

You can also find me on Pintrest @DairySoyFreeMom

No comments:

Post a Comment