Friday, September 13, 2013

Dairy & Soy Free Candy Fudge (Don't Run Away, I Promise It's Good)



UPDATE: Please make sure to double check ingredients each time you buy. I hope I never overlook anything but it’s possible and ingredients can change. A lot of my posts are over two years old and since I have gone back dairy soy free I have discovered a few items I use to buy all the time that now have soy in them.


That's right you read the heading right, we are making dairy soy free fudge candy. So break out that sweet tooth! This is a recipe I came up with one night when I really wanted something chewy & chocolate. This is super easy to make, so I'm going to show you two variations. Also my Baby Einstein obsessed baby just picked out Baby Santa for the third time today, so I'm in a fudge candy making mood.






*Kid Note: Even though I heat it, both recipes use raw honey so it's not recommend for children under 1 (and I would say 2 just to be safe). You can leave the honey out, but you will loose some of the chewy texture. If you want your little one to have a taste put the honey in last and dip them a few out right before you add the honey. It is harder to mix in the honey this way, but your babies won't be left out. WARNING: these are super rich so your kids will be jumping off the walls (don't say I didn't warn you).

I will break the instructions and ingredients down to each recipe. What you will need for both is: a spatula and/or whisk to stir with, a large spoon to dip with, a cupcake tin with wrappers, and a double boiler (if you do not have a double boiler you can make one using a pot & large glass bowl sitting on top). Let's get to the good stuff.







Orange Honey Chocolate Cherry Fudge

Ingredients:

1 10oz Bag Mega Chocolate Chunks (I use Enjoy Life since they are the only brand chocolate chunks I've found dairy soy free)

2 Tablespoons Honey (local is best for your allergies)

1/3 Cup Orange Juice (you can substitute any juice you like, orange is just my favorite)

1 5oz Bag Tart Dried Cherries (or your favorite dried fruit or fruits)

Directions:

Heat chocolate chunks in double boiler. Stirring until smooth.

Add honey stir until well blended.

Add orange juice (or any juice) whisk until smooth. When you first add the juice (if it's cold) the chocolate will kind of chunk up and look odd. Just keep stirring or whisking (whisking works best) till it smoothes back out, it will I promise.

Add dried cherries (or other fruit) and mix well.

Spoon into cupcake wrapers and let set. It will take about 5 hours for them to really set up. I usually leave mine overnight. No need to refrigerate.

I make about 12 with this recipe, but I make mine thick. These are very rich so if you are not as crazy about chocolate as I am you might want to make them thinner and scoop out 24. I started that way but felt bad when I would eat two or three, now I eat one, and it sounds better. Plus I save on cupcake wrappers since I eat so many.



Note: If these turn out too "sticky" for your taste then cut back or omit the orange juice.





Almond Coconut Chocolate Fudge (These taste like Almond Joys)

Ingredients:

1 10oz Bag Mega Chocolate Chunks (I use Enjoy Life since they are the only chocolate chunks I've found dairy soy free)

2 Tablespoons Honey (local is best for your allergies)

1/3 Cup Crushed Almonds (put in sandwich bag and smash with hammer or anything heavy, I use my spoon-rest)

1/4 Cup Shredded Coconut

Directions:

Heat chocolate chunks in double boiler. Stirring until smooth.

Add honey stir until well blended.

Add crushed almonds and blend. Using the spatula works best with this recipe because without the juice it is too thick for the whisk.

Add coconut and mix well.

Spoon into cupcake wrapers and let set. It will take about 1 hour for them to really set up. I usually leave mine overnight. No need to refrigerate. *Tip these are thick and sticky enough to be rolled into balls instead of cupcake wrappers if you wish.

Again,  I make about 12 with this recipe, but I make mine thick.




*Note: If these are too dry for you try adding 1/3 Cup of Coconut Milk.

*Confession: other than the chocolate chunks & cherries (which come in bags that I use all of) I just eye the ingredients. These are hard to mess up so just have fun making them your own. I plan on trying some with marshmallow fluff this Christmas (as long as marshmallow fluff has no dairy or soy, I have never checked). I will post when I try them.

See you can have chocolate treats even dairy soy free. I have more sweet tooth recipes I will be sharing soon.

*If you don't need or want to be dairy soy free you can use regular semi-sweet chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, mint chocolate chips, or really anything you want.




Let me know what variations you try in the comments.

You can also find me on Pintrest @DairySoyFreeMom

No comments:

Post a Comment