Thursday, September 26, 2013

What's For Dinner: Dairy Soy Free Crockpot Roast






UPDATE: Please make sure to double check ingredients each time you buy. I hope I never overlook anything but it’s possible and ingredients can change. A lot of my posts are over two years old and since I have gone back dairy soy free I have discovered a few items I use to buy all the time that now have soy in them.


I don't know what it is about fall, but it makes people want to break out their crockpots. I guess with the days getting shorter & cooler the idea of an easy meal you toss in the slow cooker in the morning being hot, hearty, & ready for you when you get home from work is great. Or if you stay at home the smell of a great roast cooking all day is wonderful.

I thought I would share a dairy soy free roast recipe I found. Making roast with a marinade can be hard since most use brown gravey and gravy will have dairy and if you buy the packets soy too. This recipe is great as long as you find soy free Worcestershire Sauce (there are ones out there but you have to hunt for them, I use Bi-Lo brand Southern Homes). You can also make this recipe your own adding whatever vegetables and meat your family likes. I left out potatoes because I did not have any but most people like potatoes with their roast so add them in if you want them (just chop into cubes and toss them in when you do the carrots and onions).







Ingredients:

1 tablespoon cornstarch

8 medium carrots, cut into thirds (I used a bag of baby carrots)

2 medium onions, each cut into 8 wedges (I ended up only using 1 larger onion)

Coarse salt and ground pepper

1 beef chuck roast (3 pounds), trimmed of excess fat

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (be careful most Worcestershire sauce has soy in it, the Bi-Lo Southern Homes brand does not, read your labels)

Directions:

Step 1

In slow cooker, stir together cornstarch and 2 tablespoons cold water until smooth (or you can use beef broth instead of water, I used water). Add carrots and onions; season with salt and pepper, and toss.







Step 2

Sprinkle roast with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; place on top of vegetables, and drizzle (or drench if you're like me and love Worcestershire sauce) with Worcestershire. Cover; cook on high, 6 hours (or on low, 10 hours).







Step 3

Transfer roast to a cutting board (let rest); thinly slice against the grain (or if it's like mine it will just fall apart). Place vegetables in a serving dish; pour pan juices through a fine-mesh sieve, if desired. Serve roast with vegetables and pan juices.








Original Recipe: Martha Stewart Slow Cooker Roast

I also steamed some green beans to serve on the side.





What's your favorite crockpot recipe?

You can also find me on Pintrest @DairySoyFreeMom

No comments:

Post a Comment