Tuesday, September 17, 2013

What's For Dinner: Baked Fish Sticks



UPDATE: Please make sure to double check ingredients each time you buy. I hope I never overlook anything but it’s possible and ingredients can change. A lot of my posts are over two years old and since I have gone back dairy soy free I have discovered a few items I use to buy all the time that now have soy in them.


Healthy quick meals that your kids will eat can be hard to find. Here is a fast easy recipe for baked fish sticks. Not only are these better for you than frozen, but they taste so much better. Plus, if you want you can freeze some of these to make a quick healthy lunch, dinner, or snack. *Make sure you check for bones.












Baked Fish Sticks

Ingredients:

6 tablespoons Olive Oil
2 cups Panko (toasted)
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
3 Eggs (beaten)
1.5 pounds Boneless Cod or Halibut Fillets (cut into 3/4-inch pieces)






Step 1
In a large skillet over medium heat, toast panko with 4 tablespoons olive oil 10 minutes stirring till brown (just pour the oil over panko in pan). When brown, transfer to shallow dish and let cool.






Rub the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil on a sheet tray and preheat it in 450°F oven.

Step 2
Mix together the panko and cayenne pepper in a shallow dish. Put eggs in a separate shallow dish.

Step 3
First, dip the fish in the panko crumbs. Then, dip them in the beaten eggs and finally back in the panko to coat them.






Step 4
Once all of the fish is coated, arrange the fillets on the preheated oiled baking sheet.






Bake for five minutes then turn fish and bake for about five minutes more, until they are just cooked through.





Serve with ketchup (all natural is best) or tartar sauce (be careful with tartar sauce, you might have to make your own to get soy free). I also serve with Alexia Sweet Potato Fries. This dairy soy free dinner will only take you 30 minutes.







Original Recipe from The Chew: Unfried Fish Sticks by Daphne Oz

You can also find me on Pintrest @DairySoyFreeMom

2 comments:

  1. Have you actually tried freezing these? Do you freeze them before or after they have been baked?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried freezing them yet, they never last that long in my house lol. Next time I make them I will freeze a few and let you know. I hope to get back to new posts in January. I'm starting to find it hard to think of new ideas so if you have any suggestions or questions let me know and I will try to figure them out. I got a waffle maker for Christmas so waffles and how to make your own dairy soy free Eggos will be a post (great for a quick easy breakfast).

      Delete