Friday, September 6, 2013

Part One: Quick Lists Of Dairy Soy Free Foods



UPDATE: Please make sure to double check ingredients each time you buy. I hope I never overlook anything but it’s possible and ingredients can change. A lot of my posts are over two years old and since I have gone back dairy soy free I have discovered a few items I use to buy all the time that now have soy in them.


One of the hardest things when going dairy soy free is to do the research on what brands make dairy soy free foods. Not just brands that everything they make is dairy soy free, like Udis & Enjoy Life, but brands you use to eat that have dairy soy free foods. In this post I'm going to let you benefit from my research and give you some snacks and meals that I have found to be dairy soy free. As always please double check the ingredients to make sure they are still dairy soy free (sometimes ingredients change).

Sugary cereals are not good for you, but if you just got to have some here are a few to get you started. Believe it or not these have no dairy or soy. Reese's Puffs, Rice Chex, Apple Cinnamon Chex, Cinnamon Chex, Cherrios, Fruity Cherrios, & Cocoa Puffs. I'm sure there are more but these are some we buy regularly that I have checked many times.






Next let's talk snacks. Going dairy soy free can feel overwhelming, but there are some snack foods (chips & cookies included) you can have.Tostitos Scoops, Tostitos Salsa (all natural), Cape Cod Kettle Cooked Sea Salt & Vinegar, Cape Cod Kettle Cooked Sweet & Spicy Jalapeno, Fritos Corn Chips, and Fritos BBQ Twists. My favorite go to cookies are Enjoy Life (all there products are dairy soy free).






Now I will give you two meals almost everyone seems to make; spaghetti and tacos.

For spaghetti you just needs a few items (unfortunately one of those items is not parmesan cheese, go ahead and say goodbye to cheese now, treat it like a cheating ex-boyfriend and kick it to the curb). You can probably use your favorite spaghetti. So far I have not found any dry pasta that uses dairy or soy so they are pretty safe. Now the sauce can be tricky. Either use homemade sauce or try to find a natural sauce (but still read ingredients even natural sauces sometimes have soy). My go to is Prego 100% Natural Sauces (I love the roasted garlic & herb). Then add ground beef or turkey if you wish.






Next is tacos. Tacos took me awhile to find sauce, season, and tortillas that were dairy soy free, but I have finally found all the pieces to my puzzle. Here's what I use: ground beef/turkey, OLE Xtreme Wellness Tortillas (they are so good and soft), Ortega Taco Seasoning (or just make your own, it's super easy just Google Taco Season Recipe), Ortega Taco Sauce, tomatoes, spinach, red onions, and Uncle Bens Brown Rice (any rice or quinoa should be fine but check the ingredients). Then you can serve chips and salsa on the side (I use Tostitos Scoops & Tostitos Salsa, most salsas are ok but if you use other chips double check them).






Now we have some random items. Emeril's All Natural Panko Bread Crumbs (for any breading needs), McCormick Golden Dip Fish 'n Chips Batter (great on cod, think Long John Silver's), Boboli or Classico Traditional Pizza Sauce (for pizzas), and some McCormick Grill Mates marinades (Baja Citrus, Mesquite, Mexican Fiesta,  Southwest, Smokin Sweet Tea, Spiced Brandy & Herb, and Chipotle).






We can't forget the kids. If you have a child that's eating dairy soy free HappyFamily is a great brand. Not everything they make is dairy soy free. They do have options such as HappyPuffs for babies, HappyBaby organic baby food (check label not all flavors dairy soy free), and HappyTimes toddler snacks (check label not all flavors dairy soy free).






So there you have it some snack foods, two meal staples, some random items, & some baby/toddler foods dairy soy free. I will try to keep bringing you dairy soy free foods that I find. If you have a question about a certain food or brand please leave me a comment, and I will try my best to help.

Quick Note: Grandparents Day is Sunday, September 8th (this Sunday). Don't forget to thank the wonderful grandparents in your life.

You can also find me on Pintrest @DairySoyFreeMom

13 comments:

  1. I just came across your blog through pinterest. I just found out that I have a allergy to soy and wheat. I'm overwhelmed at the amount of foods I cannot eat. And about 80% of my "healthy" diet that has be eliminated. Thank you for posting this as it is a huge help for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, soy & wheat will be hard but doable. I am not very familiar with wheat allergies but if you have any questions on the soy part I will do my best to help. A lot of the allergy free foods will be free of the 7 main allergies so hopefully you can find soy & wheat free foods. On the positive side cooking at home and getting the foods that have soy & wheat out of your diet should help you feel so much better. I recently went back on dairy and it was a huge mistake. I'm in the process of phasing it back out. I love cheese but I love the way I feel off dairy so much more. Good luck with your journey and let me know if I can help.

      Delete
    2. I just had surgery for breast cancer. Now I am starting hormone therapy. My dr says no soy bc it mimics estrogen. I am just overwhelmed with how many products contain soy. I just found your research. Thank you! DG

      Delete
  2. What about soy lecithin and calcium phosphate or carbonate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calcium Phosphate is really just a form of salt and Calcium Carbonate is basically chalk. You should be able to have them both as they are not dairy and do not contain the dairy protein, dairy protein is what causes most dairy allergies. Soy Lecithin is soy but the soy protein has been removed so most people with allergies can tolerate it (the same goes for soybean oil) but I avoided anything with soy in the title just in case. You can always try stuff with soy lecithin and see if you have a reaction, you should not but allergies can be tricky.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. A Rod so sorry I just saw this question. I'm not sure if it's the same for everyone but my daughter had really bad pain going to the bathroom. She would scream and cry. The doctor said it was because her digestive track was hurt because of the soy protein. There is blood in the poop but you can't always see it. The had to test diapers before we found out. But she just cried & hurt most the time until the soy was no longer in my or her diet.

      Delete
  4. Prego also has a soy free pizza sauce too. Boulder Canyon kettle cooked chips at Sam's Club is gluten and soy free. Plus they are Non GMO verified. Special K, Life, Frosted Mini Wheats and Captain Crunch with Crunchberries are cereals that are soy free :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found this blogpost and I'm excited to read it but none of the photos are showing up, it looks like they've been removed? :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm so sorry about that. I'm not sure what happened with the photos. I'm going to see if I can fix it. The recipes are still there but it's frustrating because I took step by step pictures and now they are gone 😢

      Delete
  6. What did you notice to be a reaction for dairy In phasing dairy out first as I am breastfeeding my baby boy, he has acid reflux and I'm not sure it is merely reflux Independant of other influences. I've heard dairy can be a culprit with acid reflux though. His poop is normal but he is conjested non stop and I just have a hunch /mom guilt. I need to try & see for sure. I'm wondering about your experience? The more I read on blogs and talk to people who have dealt with it the more empowered I feel. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bel just cried all the time! We thought something had to be wrong. Her poop looked normal but she seemed to cry more when she went. The doctor tested a poop diaper for blood (they said you might not be able to see it so they test). It took them about 15 minutes to do it. You can call your doctor and ask if they would run a dairy test on a diaper for you so you know for sure. Once we cut out dairy and soy it took about 4 weeks before Bel started to really feel better and 6 weeks before she stopped being in pain at all. I hope this helps and your baby boy feels better soon, it is so heartbreaking to see them hurt.

      Delete