Friday, October 25, 2013

What's For Dinner: Dairy Free Soy Free Baked Chicken & Acorn Squash








UPDATE: Please make sure to double check ingredients each time you buy. I hope I never overlook anything but it’s possible and ingredients can change. A lot of my posts are over two years old and since I have gone back dairy soy free I have discovered a few items I use to buy all the time that now have soy in them.


This is a great recipe that takes advantage of fall flavors.

Baked Chicken & Acorn Squash

Ingredients:




*I forgot to picture the brown sugar & olive oil I decided to use.

2 small acorn squash (1-1/4 pounds each)
2 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon 100% canola oil
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 bone-in chicken thighs (4oz each)
4 chicken drumsticks (4oz each)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1 can (15-1/4 ounces) sliced peaches, undrained

Directions:

Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Cut each half widthwise into 1/2-in. slices; discard ends. Place slices in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with garlic and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil.






In a large skillet, brown chicken in canola oil. Arrange chicken over squash. Combine the brown sugar, rosemary and salt; sprinkle over chicken. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes, basting with pan juices twice.














Pour peaches over chicken and squash. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear & peaches are heated through.










From the cookbook "Taste of Home: The Market Fresh Cookbook" on page 193.

This was not my family's favorite recipe. Turns out we do not care for acorn squash or the work of bone in chicken. Next time I might lower the cooking time, switch to boneless chicken breast, and use yellow squash & zucchini instead of acorn squash.

*If you use a glass baking dish read all care instructions, and never broil food in them or place on cold surface out of hot oven.

You can also find me on Pintrest @DairySoyFreeMom

No comments:

Post a Comment