Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Dairy Soy Free Crock Pot Chicken Enchiladas with Homemade Enchilada Sauce

Dairy Soy Free Crock Pot Chicken Enchiladas with Homemade Enchilada Sauce
UPDATE: Please make sure to double check ingredients each time you buy. I hope I never overlook anything but it is possible and ingredients can change. A lot of my posts are over two years old and since I have gone back dairy soy free I have discovered a few items I use to buy all the time that now have soy in them.
You can also find me on Pintrest @dairysoyfreemom

I know I have done a chicken enchiladas post in the past but these are new and improved with a wonderful homemade enchilada sauce. Trust me this post blows the old enchiladas away. :) 



Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breast
Enchilada Sauce (See Homemade Sauce Recipe Below)
1/2 of a Chopped Onion
1/3 Cup Diced Jalapeno Peppers (if you like the  really spicy add more juice from the jalapenos)
Tortillas (I use OLE Xtreme Wellness Low Fat Tortillas, make sure to check ingredients at this time they are dairy soy free but ingredients can change)

Directions:

Place chicken in crockpot.

Pour about 1 ½ to 2 cups enchilada sauce on chicken (cover completely).
Cook on high for 2 hours, then lower to low for 4 hours (or cook on low for 8 hours).
Shred chicken in the last 30 minutes to an hour.

After shredding the chicken add onions & jalapenos. Mix well and cook for the last 30 minutes.


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Scoop a large serving spoonful of chicken onto the tortilla and roll. Put in a baking dish. (I spray mine with dairy soy free cooking spray; see my post on cooking sprays for options).


Cover enchiladas with more enchilada sauce.

Put in oven for 20 minutes on 375 degrees.

Serve with rice and refried beans.



Homemade Enchilada Sauce
When I went to find dairy soy free enchilada sauce I could not find any canned versions that did not have soy. The one I used years ago when I did this the first time was gone (plus I never liked it much anyways because it was to thin). So I thought I would try my hand at making my own sauce. I looked for recipes and could not find one I liked so I took pieces from a few different recipes then added some of my own ideas. I really like this sauce, its flavorful and thick (which helps bind everything together since you cannot use cheese). You can amp up the heat by adding more jalapenos & jalapeno juice to the chicken. The key to this sauce is finding California or New Mexico Chili Powder. It has a milder flavor and is perfect for enchilada sauce. I had trouble finding California and New Mexico Chili Powder at my local grocery stores but did find them at my local Carniceria.
This recipe makes enough to do about 8 to 10 enchiladas (both the crock pot and oven parts). I always double this recipe because I make 2 pans of enchiladas (my husband really likes them) and any extra sauce he puts on anything he can find. Plus the chicken stock normally comes in a 4 cup bottle so it’s just easier than finding something else to do with 2 extra cups of chicken stock.
Ingredients:


3 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon flour

1/4 cup chili powder ( 1oz bag) (try New Mexico or California)

2 cups chicken stock

6 ounces tomato paste

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 bulbs minced garlic

Directions

In a medium saucepan heat oil, add flour, smoothing and stirring with a wooden spoon. Cook for 1 minute. 


Add chili powder and cook for 30 seconds. 


Add stock, tomato paste, oregano, cumin, and garlic. Stir to combine. 







Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. The sauce will thicken and smooth out. 

Adjust the seasonings to your taste. Serve atop your favorite enchiladas.


No comments:

Post a Comment